Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Three Blind mice .... who was chasing them with the carving knife?

Today we discussed many different Nursery Rhymes. Each of us was given a specific nursery rhyme to research. I picked the Three Blind Mice. It was one of my childhood favorites. I always though it was so funny that the mice were blind for some reason. As it turns out all of our favorite nursery rhymes have many other meanings and even other versions of them.Here is my PowerPoint for the Three Blind Mice. I found out that this nursery rhyme had several different theories on who the wife was as well as the mice. One of which was Queen Elizabeth. The mice also look different in books. Other people did rhymes such as Old Mother Hubbard, Rock a Bye Baby, and more. After saying a few of these nursery rhymes I realized they were pretty violent, especially for children but for some reason children love them.

It had been found that Mother Goose Rhymes help build cognitive and aesthetic development. The rhymes usually rhyme and are often repetitive which could help build fluency. One two buckle my shoe, also helps children count. I remember singing this as a child to help me remember what number came next. These rhymes have been around for centuries. I think this was a great lesson to not only learn about poetry but about the history of the rhymes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment