Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom. ~ Robert Frost


I remember learning about this poem in high school and it has stuck with me since. I like how it says that he took the one less traveled, and that is the way I have always lived my life. At some point in everyone's life there will be a point where they will be at a crossroads and this poem can help to reassure them to chose wisely. When people read poetry everyone takes a different meaning to it. I read this poem at a rough time in my life where it would have been easy to just quit school and do drugs but I was not about that. I worked really hard to get to where I am at today, and when I read this poem it reminds me that sometimes the road you take is not the easiest one but its your choice. 
Robert Frost is a great poet his work can be found on his website called Frost Place

BY ROBERT FROST
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

We read this a few times with each other and we all read the same part a different way. It was interesting to hear it read differently and have it take on a whole new meaning. 




1 comment:

  1. I choose the same Robert Frost poem. I think that it is a really inspiring poem that will help learners see their potential. I am also a big fan of Robert Frost and his two roads diverge poem. I often reflect on it based on my life and the decisions I am making. I think that it is a great poem to share with students as they begin to grow and learn about decision making on their own.

    ReplyDelete