Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Home sweet home

We have been discussing poetry in our class. We had to make up our own poems. I struggle with writing poetry and didn't just want to do an acrostic poem. An acrostic poem is where you use the letters that you want to spell out, for instance your name and each letter has a short phrase. Instead I chose to do a free verse poem. For the past 5 months I have been anxiously waiting my house to be built. We are in the final stages and should be moved in soon. My poem I have written is a short version of how excited I am .  Here is a sneak peek of my home sweet home! I have also found this really great poetry website that explains each type of poem. I think that it is important to teach children poetry. I think many people think that poems need to rhyme. Poetry can hard to teach but teaches can start with limricks, or simple acrostic poems. I think that poetry can be a great resource during ELA if done correctly. Many people in our class shared their poems and they were all differnet and we got to learn a little about our classmates this way. I remember in my elementary classes one way we got to know each other was by writing acrostic poems with our names and each letter was something to describe ourselves. Here are some great websites to help use poetry in classrooms
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/integrating-daily-poetry-5-tools-brett-vogelsinger

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/10-ways-use-poetry-your-classroom

http://www.educationoasis.com/resources/Articles/bringing_poetry.htm











No comments:

Post a Comment